Tracking Down the Historical Jesus

…Or, there were some very naughty boys that came after in altering and suppressing certain stories, teachings, and movements… :wink:

You may find reading the Kailedy useful on this score wsimm101.

Is it ok to speculate randomly about Jesus in this thread? Like maybe he was a time traveler, or a really smart scientist and they killed him because he was spreading knowledge. I do like the idea that he was some kind of rebel leader :slight_smile: but maybe it was just a story made up by the Romans? I find it hard with my definition of God to believe that he is literally the son of God? I think Jesus is supposed to be related to Moses right? Maybe that makes him part Egyptian Royal as Freud pointed out for Moses? And i suppose when he is saying things like “i am the light of the world” that makes him sound a little like a sun worshiper! But i haven’t even read the New testament so can’t speak to it at all. But i like the topic!

If it is an informed and reasonable speculation, it would be most appreciated. :wink:

…but…

I’m not sure if those qualify… :-\

This has been bandied about, here and there, but never really sticks… as it kind of puts the Romans in a bad light … for, I don’t know … crucifying the one they were promoting and going on a genocidal rampage against nearly all Christians for a couple hundred years!

That’s good, because Jesus never calls himself the only begotten ‘Son of God’, in any of the Gospels, canon or apocrypha. Instead, he constantly refers to himself as the ‘Son of Man’, and when he does discuss his “Father in Heaven”, he refers to his disciples as his brothers, who are sons under the same God… meaning, we are all children of God, or at the very least, all of us doing the work of our Father.

He may be, but not according to the Bible, or any other source I know of. Perhaps you mean he is said to have been a descendant of David, by blood, through his biological Father’s (Joseph’s) side. Interestingly, if Joseph was not Jesus’ actual father, and was conceived only by God through a virgin, he literally could not have fulfilled the Old Testament’s prophesy of being the Messiah. He was either descended from David by a human father (which the Messiah prophesies demand), and was the Messiah, or he was born of a virgin and not the Messiah. Christians can’t have it both ways.

That would be a good starting point, but I prefer the Kailedy… you might want to check it out. :wink:

Thanks Len :slight_smile:

Yea regarding the point about the genocidal Roman rampage. I had always heard they put Christians in the Colosseum and fed them to lions and made them fight presumably. I seem to remember hearing a story, on tv or something, about how some Christians refused to fight and where killed or eaten or whatever, so that has lead me previously to think that perhaps if this is a story it is the manifestation of such courage. Not that i am trying to take anything away from Jesus but there must have been lots of death and sacrifice at the time. So Christian peoples righteousness must lend some dimension to the story as we know it?

I have a copy of the Bible but i got a copy of the New Testament off some wandering holy people in Scotland lol, they were very nice and gave me a lovely leather back copy! I have read some chapters of the Kolbrin on line, not a huge fan of reading on the computer. I should print it.

Still, the question remains, if there was a grand made up conspiracy (which would include documented edicts of genocide by emperors, and personal letters of the Roman elite dealing with their disgust of Christians) by the Romans to make Christians look so righteous, why would the Romans do it in a way that made them look so cruel and evil, further alienating the people they would use? Everything here would be defeating the purpose, not to mention we have countless documented cases of the actual persecution of Christians by Romans, Jews, and Christians alike…

Can’t print off the main website, and can’t copy or print the online e-version purchased in the Store, prevents a lot of plagiarism we get coming our way… sorry… :frowning:

There still is the hard version available though…

No i mean as a separate point. In my experience Christians ARE well righteous and decent people. So maybe such actions as we hear about, if they actually occurred would lend potency to the Christian tale, if it’s a tale!

I am intending to get a copy of the Kaliedy or the Kolbrin hard back. Thanks. Really interesting post!

Is it possible Jesus was some how related to the Celts who found their way to Anatolia? He does have a kind of hippy vibe going on? And some whacked out druid would certainly have got some attention in the middle east 2015 years ago?

On the face of it, w, your post sounds rather silly and uninformed, and on many different levels.

As to your thought above, you may not be too far off actually. Very old legend states that Joseph of Arimathea was the one who originally brought Christianity to Britain in the first place. This is recounted in some detail in the Kolbrin and Kailedy.

But beyond this, there is very serious speculation and documentation for the possibility of Jesus visiting Britain as a boy with his uncle (?) on a merchant expedition. There have been modern scholarly books written about this very possibility that might interest you.

Sorry Len, I shouldn’t have posted on this topic. I am totally uniformed on the subject! But i have heard several speakers speak to that and read a really good book called ‘the Celts’ by Gerhard Herm which talks about how heavily invested the Celts were out there and purely on speculation i figured the Holy land is the next step from Anatolia. However Gerhard Herms reason for the Celtic migrations was speculative itself and mentions war and overpopulation as reason for it. But i would say maybe it is because you would have had a better view of the zodiac from that region? So i think that area must have been a hot bed of activity or a melting pot at that time. Personally i can’t shake the idea that Jesus was more than one man, instead maybe he was a type of man emergent at that time. Sort of like the first working class hero or even the emergence of a new middle class? As we see in Britain today people are moving up and down the social ladder more often and there are many types of religion, perhaps we will see the second coming and the emergence of a new faith here? And we do have to remember that, possibly, we are talking about someone a kin to Ron L Hubbard here. A cult leader glorified by his followers.

Sorry if any of that sounds brazen or not factual. I shouldn’t really comment on this, i don’t know enough. But it is such an interesting topic.

And i will definitely check out any book references you have Len, thanks.

To wrangle the point further, and feel free to delete this, let us ask the question. Was the holy land holy because Jesus was born there or was it holy before that?