Archaic Words in the Kolbrin

Book of Origines, Can someone help me to translate this into German. No need for the German words i just don't find these words in English dictionaries: Anshriver, brookberries, wayweed, feywomen, wailwoves.

The Kolbrin contains a lot of archaic words (including names, places, and common words) that do not have modern English equivalents. In these cases the compilers chose, rather than renaming or removing them, to let the old words stand as they are. From my understanding, the particular words you have posted are not central philosophic themes in the Kolbrin or other Culdian literature. They are of minor or secondary importance, of interest mainly to the deep researcher or serious scholar.

Archaic words of central philosophic importance are defined in the Culdian dictionary here: http://culdiantrust.org/about/dictionary/

My suggestion would be to italicize all archaic words in your translation, and make a note explaining that these old words have no modern English equivalents and that the original compilers chose not to translate or modernize them; that they have been left in their original in your translation as well for researchers to study them as they choose.

Len has made a sound suggestion and in no way do I wish to override what he says. However, I can help you a bit with these words, since I studied Old English and Middle English at Oxford. The 1937 Oxford English Dictionary gives the earliest known usages of each word’s shade of meaning and its subsequent etymology, and I was always taught that when one can’t find a word there, the best thing to do is to split it into its component parts and look them up that way. (This is how I discovered the now-obsolete meaning of ‘Brimcofer’ -see my topic on Hanok’s Ark.)

Here’s what I’ve found on the words you list. Incidentally, I’m not just guessing here. I have come across some of these component meanings in the past.

Anshriver
an - one, the only
shriver - one who shrives, a confessor
So it’s ‘Malvas the One Confessor’, though we’d probably say ‘Malvas the Confessor’ in English (as in King Edward the Confessor)

Brockberries
brock - badger.
berries- same meaning in modern English
This is clearly the name of a specific plant known to be eaten by badgers. Badgers are renowned for eating yew berries, which are hallucinogenic and poisonous to human beings. However, the text doesn’t specific yew, so better to think of it as ‘badger berries’.

Wayweed
way - path, road
weed - a herbaceous plant not valued for use or beauty
This is clearly the name of a specific hallucinogenic, poisonous plant found by the wayside. You’ll find it listed again at the very end of The Britain Book in a paragraph on useful medicinal plants. Best to see it as ‘wayside-weed’.

Feywomen
Fey - its obsolete meaning is ‘accursed’, which I think is the correct meaning here. It was later used to mean ‘deadly, fatal, fated to die’. So it’s ‘accursed women’.

Wailwolves
Wail - lament, mourn, howl in a continuous sound
So, ‘His companions were the ever-howling wolves of death’.

I hope this helps.