Destroyer Music (The Move: What?)

I am not one to focus too much on ‘end of days’ type scenarios in public, as I find it too often breeds paranoia, hysteria, delusion, and an all-around imbalanced state of mind with most.

Yet, it is also important to recognize that the consequences of too much collective ignorant thought and bad action leads to the deterioration, and eventual destruction of cultures, by any number of means. And so it is that I attempt to carefully tread on this subject.

While there are certainly a number of very bad actors on the world stage, it is not always useful to promote an ‘us vs. them’ mentality. It is very difficult for one person, or even a group of people, to alter others’ choices, especially powerful elites acting from self-interested motives. I believe more often the better path is to work on self-awareness/self-control/self-balance, and to assist our families and neighbors work on the same. With a strong enough culture and personal base, bad actors have no room to flourish or act. Bad actors, just like disease, can only succeed against an imbalanced body or compromised immune system. Strengthen the immune system and balance the body, and disease can gain no foothold, and is destroyed often even before the point of penetration.

So, in that spirit, I share below a song dealing with a ‘Destroyer’ type theme, albeit one focused on causes with ourselves rather than with things we can’t control. It is a dark song, to be sure, and dealing with darker subjects that must be faced is never easy. Hopefully it will make you think and feel… and eventually act…

The Move was a British band formed in the late 60’s. They were not long lasting or hugely successful, breaking up in the early 70’s with part of the band reforming into the much more well know Electric Light Orchestra (ELO). “What?”, the song shared below, is taken from their most eclectic and experimental album, “Looking On”. The entire album is also shared below the song selection, and is highly recommended, being very ahead of its time. It is musically unique, and contains a combination of styles including proto-metal, soul, R&B, psychedelic rock, and good old fashioned British pop. (Lyrics to “What?” also below. If you like what you hear, do yourself a favor and buy the album for a much better sounding remastered version.)

[embed=425,349]http://youtu.be/q7r0E_U6ddc[/embed]

The Move: What? (lyrics)

What is that strange air in the sky
Why should a strange star pass me by

How can they congratulate the people who destroyed the peace of mind
The silly people just like you and better too
How can they keep turning when the overture is burning on the faces
Of the people in the churches of the land

That’s all a way that I run from the light
The day has come at last

People are crying in the boulevard
Their eyes are blind they cry so hard

How can they keep turning when the overture is burning on the faces

And so it seems there is only one dream
The day has come at last

The day has come at last

What you have done makes me ashamed
I’ll blow it up and start again

How can they keep turning when the overture is burning in the faces

The day has come at last

“Looking On” (Whole Album)

[embed=425,349]http://youtu.be/CzW4NQXl3T8[/embed]

What a terrific band this is. Great lyrics and music, too!
I listened to „Looking On“ once or twice now and like it a lot. The song „What?“ is dealing with thoughts that oftentimes came into my mind, and even more so lately, thanks to the kolbrin.

Some months ago i had an unusual and quite interesting afflatus regarding this and i too think that there is still some time. On the other hand, i am sure that if i would speak out loud about this, they would sure commit me to the cherry blossom clinic.

[embed=425,349]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MHAzNU4Vsus[/embed]

This song really brings a bright smile to my face.
Thank you for sharing Len!

Edit:
Especially with „Open up said the world at the door“ they created such a versatile song. Jarring vocals and winds, rapid piano blues/boogie, dashing drums, heavy guitar and bass riffs.
This is good shit man!

E2: Although i don’t think that i get the lyrics here. So she is swimming in that hole in the ground to find something she once had. What does she expect to find in that hole in the ground? What could anyone expect to find in a hole in the ground? I cannot think of anything except dirt, emptiness and darkness. Maybe she is looking for her faded youth or beauty. Maybe she was happy back then when the folks were calling her to get her to the ball. In the middle of the drum solo there is a rewind. Maybe she tries to turn back time. Maybe she should open up to be able to see, that a whole new world is waiting at the doorstep and that if she would step out of her hole she could find what she is looking for in the unknown rather than in the hole in the ground or in fleeting memories.
But maybe i am on the wrong track here. Anyway, cool drum solo.

Here i want to share with you another great musician.
Jakob A. Smith aka The White Buffalo is a US-american countryfolk-musician.
On his album ‘Hogtied Revisited’ (2008), which is an excellent work overall, there is a track called ‘Carnage’, which i think will fit quite nicely in this thread with its theme of destruction and powerlessnes in face of things we can’t control.

[embed=425,349]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BC1aFWu3Xm4[/embed]

Carnage - lyrics

The day that carnage came to town
We locked and bolted our doors down
We laid silent on the ground
Hoping we will not be found
As children moan as mother cries
I hide the fear from my eyes
We creep down the cellar door
Underneath the rotting floor

Oh, I can’t see the light
Is it day or has darkness come like men
My brothers fight
Oh’ when will this be done
Will we see, will we see the sun

We hold up stock down in the cave
Two weeks gone by will we be saved
The rats go ahead and steal their share
For in the darkness we’re unaware
I try to keep the others strong
We won’t last down here very long
How many lives have our boys gave
Have we built our shallow grave

My brothers fight

Skin and bones we waste away
Two months gone by no light of day
Children rocking back and forth
They don’t play much anymore
The smell of death is in the air
Our chances are much less than fare
To leave may be our certain doom
To stay shelter becomes a tomb

My brothers fight

Full Album

[embed=425,349]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m42ch3spnNM[/embed]

Thanks for sharing, j!

This really gets back to country music roots, IMO, away from a lot of the pop/country trash peddled and easily forgotten for the past 20-30 years. Good stuff!

Lyrics from the song here remind one of hiding from a war scene, quite depressing…

I continue the Destroyer Music type theme in another thread ( http://culdiantrust.org/culdianforums/index.php?topic=298.0 ), dealing with the issue from a different perspective for those interested.

I’ve never heard of this band before. Thanks for broadening my horizons Len.