Comparative Theology #1: The Golden Rule

The greatest moral, spiritual and metaphysical Truths find themselves discovered across time and space, often with cultures having no contact with one another, and very often in nearly the same wording. This is a testament to a transcendent higher reality. Cross references of these is a rationalistic, scholarly approach showing concrete principals which are unexplainable in a materialistic paradigm, but scientifically help to prove a kind of metaphysical ethics or reality. At their base, all higher ethical systems, religions, and philosophies teach the same things, and this is no coincidence or accident.

Manuel has already cross referenced a few of these with the Kolbrin, but there are many other examples, and they go far beyond the Kolbrin. Continued research will shed light on even more, and alarming, findings.

Below is a simple contribution from myself, with a far reaching (but not nearly complete!) cross reference of ‘The Golden Rule’. ‘The Golden Rule’ is a very distilled ethical Truth, universally known, and therefore an ideal choice for a beginning contribution to this work.

I begin with the Kailedy, and from there move all over the world in times spanning the millennia.

(For those seeking more, there are also examples of ‘The Golden Rule’ in African and American Native oral traditions.)

“Act towards others as you would have them act towards you, and love your neighbour as yourself.” – The Gospel of the Kailedy, Chapter 20

“Now this is the command: Do to the doer to cause that he do thus to you.” – From the story of the Eloquent Peasant (Middle Kingdom Egypt c. 2040–1650 BC)

“That which you hate to be done to you, do not do to another.” – Late Egyptian period papyrus c. 664 BC – 323 BC

“You shall not take vengeance or bear a grudge against your kinsfolk. Love your neighbor as yourself: I am the LORD.” – Leviticus 19:18 (Judaism)

“That which is hateful to you, do not do to your fellow. That is the whole Torah; the rest is the explanation; go and learn it.” – Talmud, Shabbat 31a (Judaism)

“Do to others as you would have them do to you.” – Luke 6:31 (Christianity)

“None of you [truly] believes until he wishes for his brother what he wishes for himself.” – The Prophet Muhammad, Hadith (Islam)

“Seek for mankind that of which you are desirous for yourself, that you may be a believer.” – The Prophet Muhammad, Hadith (Islam)

“Avoid doing what you would blame others for doing.” – Thales (The very first known and recorded Greek philosopher)

“If people regarded other people’s families in the same way that they regard their own, who then would incite their own family to attack that of another? For one would do for others as one would do for oneself.” – Mozi (Ancient Chinese Philospher)

“Regard your neighbour’s gain as your own gain and your neighbour’s loss as your own loss.” – Lao Tzu, T’ai Shang Kan Ying P’ien (Taoism)

“Is there any one word that could guide a person throughout life?” The Master replied: … Never impose on others what you would not choose for yourself." – Confucius, Analects XV.24

“Do not do unto others whatever is injurious to yourself.” – Shayast-na-Shayast 13.29 (Zoroastrianism)

“One should treat all creatures in the world as one would like to be treated.” – Mahavira, Sutrakritanga 1.11.33 (Jainism)

“This is the sum of duty: do not do to others what would cause pain if done to you.” – Mahabharata 5:15-17 (Hinduism)

“Treat not others in ways that you yourself would find hurtful.” – The Buddha, Udana-Varga 5.18 (Buddhism)

I've always had a gripe with the golden rule, which is simply that some people actually like to be the receiving end of undesirable actions. I would rephrase it to " don't do any gratuitous harm to any innocent, undeserving third party".

Yes, well, some people are masochists, but I would define this as the result of an imbalance or sickness; as much so as to their opposites, sadists.

Neither result in healthy thinking or behavior, but if they chose to willing and privately abuse each other with their perversions without imposing on others, that is their own sick joy in which private karma can be meted out, and in a weird way, can fall within ‘The Golden Rule’.

Not really because the golden rule says that people should do unto others (not merely others who are masochists as they are) as they would like others to do unto them. That's why I think my version is better.

But anyway you went a bit off topic here. The purpose of the post was to show how the “voice of God” chapter in book of gleanings contains so many diverse influences, including (but not limited) to the Bhagavad Gita. The first paragraphs regarding the futility of burned sacrifices also can be found in Isaiah in the Old testament. It’s very interesting.

Not off topic at all… this is a new thread.

And you assume the Kolbrin is being influenced by the Bhagavad Gita.

Hinduism is a polytheistic religion that is evolving into the realization of a monotheistic truth in the Bhagavad Gita.

I wonder how the same situation happened in Egypt years before…?

I mean that you took a different quote and also looked for correlating ones instead of focusing on the ones presented ;) but it's all good I welcome your input.

I think we have found many different quotes (and ideas) that are similar (at times identical) in diverse places and times.

No borrowing needed, my friend. :wink:

I appreciate your further cross references, just thought I’d add a few of my own. :smiley:

Oh snap, you're right this is another thread. For some reason I overlooked the main post and thought you were replying to the thread I made LOL I apologize for the misunderstanding

facepalm

No problem bro…

I wonder if these similarities some times stem from the fact that the Kolbrin compilers had to cross reference from modern available sources to fill up what was missed due to the dillapidated state of the copy they had in possession.

That is certainly possible… but on the other hand you could have instances of what is like the near identical wording in ‘The Golden Rule’ quotes above, describing near identical revelations.

Or like most cultures have a flood legend and a prophecy of an "end time". Certainly it could be that at some point in the antediluvian epoch a widespread civilization existed and all these teachings existed in an unified library which then became dispersed and adapted by the newly growing cultures.

The Bhagavad Gita, for example, is a singular moment in Hinduism. It is the moment when, the Ultimate, the God of all gods, is realized.

The same is documented (beyond the Kolbrin) to have happened in Egypt and Israel, separately.

The Kolbrin is an account of an Ultimate realization coming out of, and surviving through a polytheistic culture. Would not the sages of both India and Egypt have come to the same Truths without any borrowing?

Is the same not true for the flood tale, ‘The Golden Rule’, and monotheism in general?

note Monotheism is documented in Egypt and Israel BEFORE India.

Well it could be, just as well as in some instances some myths and esoteric teachings could have a common origin. We know that many of our own esoteric bodies of work borrow heavily from ancient Egypt, Babylon etc so just as well it could have been with more ancient civilizations. I guess it's as you said, you may get both cases in different instances.-

The BEST ‘common origin’ is personal communion and revelation from the Divine Itself. :wink:

… And this sharing, most certainly, has happened, my friend… :slight_smile:

Yeah, luckily for us the less enlightened ones, the records have somewhat been preserved in written form as well ;)

Even if it were all burned and forgotten, as my friend Lance would say, “Nothing is lost.”

That which is True has a funny way of remaining True even if it is not seen or momentarily forgotten. :wink:

“If all men were blind, the stars would still exist” – The Kolbrin

Yeah i guess someone would come along and enter in communion with some higher source and just bring it back. Most likely this has had to happen at some point after one of those mega cataclysms that the Egyptians mentioned to Solon.

Solon was a good lawmaker… but not the best at remembering the accounts given to him. Thankfully, we have a few depictions with vivid clarity… :wink:

This is true Len. The most recent example I know of is that of the Culdians. The last ‘known’ Culdee’ was killed a couple of hundred years ago, yet here we are today.

Actually, I believe that as we live in a kind of mind sea, all that has been is recorded in one form or another (or perhaps even in many forms) and can, should conditions be right, be tapped into and recalled at any time. Naturally, in order for such things to be accepted more readily, they would be clad in the appropriate format or garments for the time of its recollection. Too, there are are those from differing dimensions who, also when conditions best present themselves, will pierce the veil (whether that be time, space or dimension) to bring such knowledge or information back to the peoples in most need - this, I believe, is relevant to all species, not just humans here on Earth.

I suppose the Golden Rule could also be catagorised under the Law of Correspondence - as above, so below. As within, so without - thus making it a secondary or tertiary Law of the Universes. It is a lovely rule though. Sadly one not yet fully embraced here on Earth just yet. Speed the day when this will happen.